Aug 18 • 3 mins read
5 Out of the Box Christmas Gift Ideas for Children
When thou makest presents, let them be of such things as will last long; to the end they may be in some sort immortal, and may frequently refresh the memory of the receiver. ~Thomas Fuller
Every child loves gifts. Well, who doesn’t for that matter? Come a birthday, a festival or a celebration, children expect gifts from their parents. With everyone caught up in the Christmas frenzy, Santa Claus has become busier than ever. Children have long lists of gifts they want from Santa Claus. They might have outgrown the myth, but they can never outgrow the love for gifts and the joy of receiving them.
However, before you reach out for that transformers toy from the shopping aisle or place an online order for that much-in-demand phone for your child, do step back and re-think. Does this piece of toy or gadget add any value to your child’s life? Will it be a thing of momentary joy or will it become a favourite memory? Will it make to the pile of toys lying untouched for years or will it be used again and again? Will it initiate a life outdoors or will it confine the child to a room?
Christmas Gift Ideas for Children
Gifts that are bought after careful thinking can go a long way in developing your child’s personality and create lasting memories. If you are short of out of the box gift ideas for children, we are here to help you. Here is a list of five carefully thought out gifts, which can help your child to expand his/her horizon, and discover a life beyond toys and gadgets. A life that is much fuller with experiences.
- A Gardening Starter Kit: As an adage goes, ‘Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime’. You can teach your child to grow a garden. A gardening starter kit is a great gift idea. Sowing seeds and watching the plants grow while watering them every day is indeed an immense joy. Your child will also enjoy digging the soil and toying with mud. It takes a lot of care and nurturing to grow plants. You can watch your child with pleasure as he/she plucks the fruits/leaves with pride. Gardening teaches children the important lesson of being patient and taking care of someone.
- A Book/Magazine Subscription: A child experiences immense joy upon receiving a gift. Then why not give the child this joy every month. There are many subscription boxes available in the market. Depending on the child’s interest you can subscribe to comics like ‘Tinkle’ or ‘Amar Chitra Katha’, or you subscribe to storybooks from ‘Enchantico’, or weekly newspaper for kids from ‘RobinAge’, or magazines like ‘National Geographic Kids’. Each of these could be a part of your child’s development. Books are a child’s best friends too.
- A Large Canvas and Artist Quality Acrylic Paints and Brushes: Playing with colours is fun at any age. Gift your child a large canvas and artist quality acrylic paints. Let the child explore the colours and their mixtures. Allow the creativity for your child to flow uninhibited. Give him or her complete freedom with the canvas. Just remember to make your child wear an apron, and do remember to protect any important things lying near the canvas and paints.
- A Camping Set: Nothing can be more fun to a child than exploring the wilderness. A camping set brings with it a pandora’s box of imagination. Not only will it bring out the explorer in the child, it will also be a reason for you to plan camping trips together with the family. Camping encourages the child to observe the nature. As the child sets up the tent and makes his/her own bed, camping induces a sense of discipline and independence in the child.
- A Telescope: Have you ever wondered what stars are really made up of? Did you want to see the rabbit in the moon more closely? How about giving your child an opportunity to find out more about the universe. A telescope is a perfect gift to open a child’s mind to the vastness of the universe. The time spent on those starry nights wondering about constellations and the Milky Way will be magical and enriching for you and your budding scientist, alike. Let the little scientist wonder even more.
Time and love are the most priceless gifts you can give to your child as a parent. Choose from one of these wonderful gift ideas to not just pamper your child but also spend quality time doing things together. For older children and young adults, there is a lot of gifting choices available.
If money concerns are holding you back, get consumer durable loan and give your child what’s best for them. We at MoneyTap wish you and your loved ones a joyous Christmas and a glorious new year!