Chennai proudly holds the title of being the capital city of Tamil Nadu and has been a melting pot of different cultures over the centuries, adding to its heated glory. Chennai has its fair share of tourist sites but the much-needed refreshment that weekend excursions offer is always welcome right?
So here are the top 5 weekend getaways from Chennai:
Kanchipuram is also known as the Silk City due to its famous traditional silk sarees that are known the world over for their fine quality. It is also adorned with several temples that attract thousands of tourists who want to see its unparalleled architecture that is a testament to the Dravidian legacy. Kanchipuram offers a fantastic mix of historical, fun-filled and religious experiences.
- Distance from Chennai: 75km
- Best Time to Visit: September and March
- Places to Visit: KanchiKudil and Vedanthangla Bird Sanctuary
- Things to Do: Bird watching, sight-seeing and visit temples
How many of you have dreamed of spending a weekend by the sea? Pulicat offers all this and more with its scenic views. Flocks of flamingos gather at Pulicx`at during December through to January, creating a vibrant scene of pink. Experience easy living along the banks of the Pulicat Lake.
- Distance from Chennai: 55 km
- Best Time to Visit: October through March
- Places to Visit: Pulicat Lake
- Things to Do: Relax and enjoy the scenery
Mahabalipuram is an architectural marvel and has been declared a World Heritage site. The Mamallapuram Dance Festival is a delight to both locals and visitors alike. You can explore Mahabalipuram on bicycles and indulge in traditional activities like masala and rice crushing as well as rangoli drawing.
- Distance from Chennai: 52km
- Best Time to Visit: December to March
- Places to Visit: The Five Rathas, the Shore Temple and Arjun’s Penance monuments.
- Things to Do: Participate in the Mamallapuram Dance Festival
This former French colony offers a sense of tranquillity with its quiet cobbled streets and vintage colonial architecture and furniture.
- Distance from Chennai: 161km
- Best Time to Visit: October to February
- Places to Visit: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Notre Dame des Anges, Sri Manakula Vinyagar temple and the French Quarter
- Things to Do: Participate in water sports
Located in the shadow of four mountain peaks and flanked by thick vegetation, Yelagiri can only be reached by hilly trails. Yelagiri offers you a slow-paced holiday that is vastly different from the chaos of Chennai. The majestic Swami Malai Hills are a visual treat throughout your visit.
- Distance from Chennai: 227km
- Best Time to Visit: November to February
- Places to Visit: Punganoor Lake Park and Jalagamparai Falls
- Things to Do: Boating and sightseeing
Do you find yourself getting fed up of your daily routine and the hustle and bustle of Chennai and need a short break? Well, your weekend getaway dreams don’t have to be as distant as they seem with MoneyTap’s personal line of credit that you can use as your personal travel loan in Chennai.
Simply download the MoneyTap app, register and get approved for up to 5 lakhs and start using it from the comfort of your phone! And the best part? You only have to pay interest on the amount you use and you can use our line of credit as an instant personal loan, or as a credit card!